Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Campus

Well it has almost been a week at Purdue now and it definitely isn't any warmer than when I got here! The last few days have been reasonably busy as I get myself ready for classes to start tomorrow - I now know my way around the local Walmart too well for my liking and now own a fridge and a coffee maker (yeah I don't even drink coffee, but I'm using it to heat my water for milo and it's working a treat!).

Today things are getting a lot busier on campus, as the rest of the students arrive. The last week has been a lot of orientation events for the international students, but with classes starting tomorrow everyone else has turned up as well. Purdue has a student population of about 40,000 I think so there are a lot of people to move in.

For anyone who is interested, the university website is:
www.purdue.edu

I've been trying to remember to take photos (it is a goal for this trip, I'm always useless at remembering to take pictures), so I thought I would post a couple to give you an idea of what the campus is like.

This is University Hall, the oldest building on campus. I have two classes which will be in this building.


Purdue Memorial Union: Just across from my building, the Union has a bunch of eating places which have been visited regularly this week. I think there is also a hotel in there.

A fraternity or sorority house - I'm not sure which. They all look a bit like this.

Hawkins Hall: My home. I live on the sixth floor and I think the whole floor is made up of girls' rooms. I have met a few of them and they seem pretty nice. The Hall is basic but does the job, we have a cardio room downstairs, as well as a laundry, kitchen and multiple television rooms.
Sunset from my room.
So classes start tomorrow, I'm taking three history papers and a political science paper. It will be interesting to see how it all operates when I get into it. At some stage I will take some pictures of my room etc. so you can see where I'm living. Hopefully I will get off campus in the next couple of weeks and see some more of the country. I would love to go to Chicago and as it's only a couple of hours away hopefully I will make a trip there soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment